Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company Review



I went to see this performance last week, because I had heard that this company was renowned for their use of onstage multimedia - which meant text. They took historical literature and speeches and wove the words into the dance piece. I thought it would be an interesting twist on my literary beat, getting into a different genre of art. Interesting...yes. What I expected? Definitely not. My review doesn't even focus on the literary aspects of this performance because it was so disjointed. I left the theater completely confused. I'm still going to post it to MassLive because I like the different perspective it adds to my beat, but I won't deny that it's quite a stretch. It's funny, because I interviewed Kathryn Maguet, who is the Director for the Fine Art Concert Hall Center Series this year (the program that hosted the Bill T. Jones performance), and she said it was the performance she was most looking forward to because of it's unique modern style. Perhaps my eye isn't as sharp when it comes to the performing arts. You be the judge!

No comments:

Post a Comment