Monday, October 5, 2009

Hurray for English Society

Lots of fun stuff going on in the creative writing scene. Last Thursday I went to my second English Society meeting, we talked about Jabberwocky, fundraising, and read our first submission. I postered all around campus on Friday, and finally got my interview with Soo Bee, the editor of the journal who is also just a really cool girl. I hope the article I wrote can be submitted to the Collegian as well as MassLive, for this class, because I think the publicity would do the ES some good.

In other news, the Poetry Festival is coming up on the 15th. I'm really excited for that, I've never been to anything like it. Also, the Visiting Writer's series is going strong, unfortunately Sherman Alexie's lecture was postponed. I was going to blog about it but sadly, there hasn't been a rescheduled date posted yet. More on that later.

I'm thinking of heading to Smith College sometime this week to look at the Sylvia Plath pieces that are a part of the "Unconquered by Flames: The Literary Lights of Yaddo" exhibit there. Her poetry is very haunting. This is my favorite, a villanelle, that I had to analyze my senior year of high school in AP English. Take a look. Hopefully I'll have more to post on that after my trip to check it out.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Sarah. This is an interesting writer series at Williston Northampton that is open to the public. The only problem (for us) is it happens on Tuesday nights.

    Boo!

    http://www.williston.com/Page.aspx?pid=491

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah actually, there's a poetry series that goes on every tuesday night at Smith College at 7:30...it's kind of a bummer. Maybe one night if we get out early enough I can check it out. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete